The Grand Crew
Mark Your Calendars! World Kindness Day is Nov. 13th
Don’t forget, World Kindness Day is Friday, November 13th and we could all use a little more of that. So please, go all out celebrating this year! Heap kindness toward your neighbors, yourselves, and strangers.
Bear with me as I fast forward to another holiday, but we’ll end back up at World Kindness Day, I promise. On New Year’s Eve, as the clock strikes midnight we embrace our loved ones and sing Auld Lang Syne. The song, which was written as a poem by Robert Burns, includes the phrase ‘we’ll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne’.
Don’t worry about it – it’s the part at the end that you kinda mumble through every year because you were never really sure what they were saying. Or, like an old acquaintance, you forgot.
World Kindness Day seems like a good time to find out what the heck a cup of kindness is so we can share a cup properly.
Here is how to make a Cup of Kindness according to the Times of India, and it sounds like a fabulous way to spread a little kindness. By the way, we like ours with W. L. Weller, Blanton's Original or Elijah Craig.
Ingredients for a Cup of Kindness
· 2 oz bourbon whiskey · 2 0z gm Espresso coffee
· 2 teaspoons sugar syrup · 4 cubes ice cubes
· 2 cherries · 2 teaspoon chocolate sauce
· 3 teaspoons fresh cream · 2oz whipped cream
· 1 teaspoon chocolate shavings · 2 sprigs mint leaves
· Step 1
In a shaker glass filled with ice, measure all the ingredients except the whipped cream and shake well till frothy.
· Step 2
Pour into a coffee mug with ice and an underliner.
· Step 3
Fill with whipped cream on top.
· Step 4
Garnish with chocolate flakes, two cherries, and mint sprig and serve.
If you don’t have all the ingredients handy you could celebrate with a bottle from Kind Napa Valley.
The Team at Epic Cellars committed to an Epic Act of Kindness each month during 2020. The owners offer a generous donation fund each month and the team takes turns determining the recipient. So far this year we’ve surprised:
Two people who lost their jobs due to Covid-19
A beloved barista with a surprise bundle of joy on the way
The Kentucky Humane Society
One of the many UPS drivers who were on the front line and working harder than ever
A single mom
A first-year teacher who used the money to buy a book for each of her students every month of the school year
A Maintenance Supervisor facing a really scary diagnosis
A vet who provides in-home end of life care for pets and the families who love them
Here are some other ideas for World Kindness Day during the Covid epidemic:
· Send an inspirational quote to someone you know is struggling
· Call a friend or family member who is feeling lonely and isolated
· Arrange virtual happy hour with a friend you haven’t caught up with lately
· Tell a loved one why you are thankful for them
· Donate to a charity
· Congratulate someone on a job well done
· Be extra appreciative of our essential workers
· Compliment the cashier at the grocery
· Donate to a foodbank
· Have someone’s favorite meal delivered to them
· Offer to pick up groceries for an elderly or vulnerable neighbor
· Play with your pet
· Pick up the tab for the person behind you in the drive-thru